Friday, May 30, 2008

My concoction

Sometimes, especially with Stuart gone, I really crave bad food.  I mean, I'm eating well 89% of the time, and sometimes I just NEED mac & cheese.  Today my craving was Broccoli, Cheese & Rice.

Here's where a dash of "Big Poppa" comes in.  Big Poppa is what the kids call my dad.  He's far too cool to be called Grandpa or anything like that.  Honestly, he and my sisters play laser tag every Tuesday.  I'm not kidding in the least.  He is the master of throwing a bunch of crap in a pot and it becoming a meal.  In the last few years, I've really discovered that it's rubbed off on me a bit.

I digress...

I didn't have the proper ingredients for my dish, so I had to improvise.  When I had the Culver family over for Memorial day, I bought some Tostitos Salsa con Queso.  I figured that would be better than Kraft Fat Free cheese.  :p  In fact, the Queso is really low in points - check it out.

So, here's what I ended up with:

1 bag Success Brown Rice
1 can Condensed Cream of Chicken soup  (I didn't have cream of mushroom)
1 16 oz bag frozen broccoli
2/3 cup Tostitos Salsa con Queso
1/3 cup shredded fat free cheese

I cooked the rice and broccoli, following package directions.  In the meantime, I preheated the oven to 350*.  I combined the queso and soup in a casserole dish.  Once the rice and broccoli were finished, I dumped them in the dish, and mixed it all together.  I topped it with the shredded cheese.  Cover with foil and cook for 20 minutes.  :)

Using the recipe builder on WW.com, I estimated that this was about 8 servings, so 3 pts a serving.  Not too shabby for comfort food!

I think, in the future, I'd put a little less queso or a little more rice.  It was nice to have the extra kick of the salsa.  You know, it also would've been good with chicken breast in it.  I had a chicken breast separately, though.

All in all, it was a satisfying little "cheat".  Plus, since it's spicy, I have PLENTY left over, because the kids wouldn't eat it.  Hee hee.


1 comment:

Who I Am said...

That sounds yummy. Thanks for the recipe. I think this will be on our menu for next week!